Thursday, March 26, 2009

LIFT OFF!

The day has finally arrived. We're going in. For all we're worth.

And I have to say, I feel pretty good. I feel like we've given our all right up to the very last second of this race and that we've built a strong proposal on the foundation of a very solid script. 

In a way it's funny - seeing what's essentially four years of work boiled down into a small cardboard box of paper - but I imagine it's probably a lot like writing a thesis. Not that I would know. But I can guess. What I do know is that it's been a hell of an education so far....

And I say, "so far", because it's far from over.

Once all the proposals have been received at the other end, the next step is booking an appointment to appear in front of the project analysts - to defend our thesis, so to speak. 

Essentially, we'll be expected to come in and field questions, concerns, challenges from the analysts, as well to provide further material to both seduce and convince the analysts that we are more than ready to make this film. That it's practically already made.

There's a whole logorithm (if I'd done my Masters, I'd know how to spell that) involved in booking those pitches. Call it the Goldilocks logorithm - when the phone lines open you have to jockey to get just the right timing - not too early, not too late.  

Still, for today at least, we've done all that we can do to make our project worth defending. I'm proud of all that we've accomplished, I'm enormously grateful to all who've helped us get this far, and I'm going to spend this weekend watching other people's doctoral theses at my local Cineplex to celebrate.

Bon cinéma!