Monday, February 27, 2012

British (etc.) Invasion

We just keep getting more cool stamps on the proverbial passport of our movie!

At the market screenings in Berlin earlier this month, the film was sold to the UK and Ireland! We're talking THEATRICAL RELEASE here people - that is, if the courtship intentions of our newest distributor, Peccadillo Pictures come to fruition!

I'm not entirely sure why, but just the idea of our film being released in British and Irish theatres totally thrills me. I guess it has something to do with the fact that when I was a kid, a British film playing in my town was seen as a big, cultural deal. It would have been the most exotic cinematic offering we'd get in Calgary at the time; the only real "alternative" to the usual, ubiquitous Hollywood fare. And I loved that new flavour.

So I guess the fact that the movie I made is going to be seen as a "foreign film" in some British or Irish kid's town, is just really cool to me.

Actually you know, it's funny - it's been a year since our film was first released and when people ask me how the film did, they always add, "Did it travel?"

I love that that is just as valid a measure of the film's merit as box office and awards...

And so on that note, it feels very nice to be able to say that after getting distribution deals in the States, the U.K., Ireland and selling to Dutch television, our film was screened at the Keswick Festival in Britain last weekend. And coming up in March and April, it's been invited to Malmo, Sweden and Sao Paolo, Brazil.

Happy (continuing) travels...