Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Road to Recovery

I wrote a fellow filmmaker last night, "As much as making a film is probably the most challenging thing I've ever done, the next most challenging thing is letting go of that thing and finding the sense of my life again."

In the wake of the last big push before sending this creation out into the world, I am starting to have a better understanding of why Woody Allen "chain filmmakes" - essentially sparking up his next film off the dying ember of the last with barely a breath in between.

Call it separation anxiety. Or adrenaline dependence. Or gluttony for punishment. Call it what you like, but now that I'm actually here, practically on the other side of making my first film, I find I'm in a nostalgic limbo. Not an entirely unpleasant one because there still is a whole exciting stage left to this project - the showing it part - and there is the delicious luxury of finding the next inspiration ahead of me - but I find I'm in a longing limbo nonetheless. A bit floaty, a bit foggy, a bit gushy... especially over the people who have brought me so far towards achieving my dream...

To all my talented collaborators, each one of whom I've mentioned here over the months, each one of whom has worked so tirelessly to hook into my vision and help me realize it and more, I give my heartfelt thanks.

And in keeping with my gushy, mushy mood, let me paraphrase a saccharin Jack Nicholson:

"You all make me want to be a better filmmaker."

In the meantime, I'm thinking of taking up the clarinet...