Monday, March 16, 2009

T Minus 10

10 days to lift-off. 

In other words, 10 days to Telefilm. Which really means: 10 to the power of 10 things still left to either generate, calculate, find, define, refine or confirm.  Especially confirm. 

With so many ends still left to tie up before we submit the project for funding, I figure I'm going to need nothing short of the kind of rigorous, round the clock work schedule plus the physical and mental discipline usually only ever seen in East German athletes training for the Olympics. Minus the drugs, of course. 

Okay, minus most of the drugs.

Here's the thing - if I'm going to make it (more or less drug-free), I'm going to need some help. I'm going to need a sort of virtual personal trainer to keep me on track, keep me focussed, keep me pushing myself to beat my own personal best.

After what's essentially been a four-year foot race (some also call it "development"), I'm having a hell of a time pushing through that "runner's wall" in the home stretch. I'm still looking for the superhuman burst of speed that kicks in just when you think you've given it all you've got. I'm hoping for those end-game endorphins that, despite "final draft" fatigue, cramps in the brain and dehydration of inspiration, will get me across the very crowded, government-funded Finish Line.  To medal.

So, here's what I'm going to do...  I'm going to make this blog my stopwatch.  And as each day passes, I will report back here and give the blow-by-blow-down of how much progress I'm making, at what level I'm performing.  And I'll set goals for each ensuing day, counting down to the final day of reckoning - Deposit Day. I don't know what it'll do for you out there - are you out there? - but I know what it just might do for me...

It just might help me kick it hard enough in these last remaining days to put the sweetest, tightest feature film package straight through the narrow goal posts of the financing powers-that-be.
 
To wit...
---

Goals for Tuesday (T Minus 9):

Work the latest list of script notes into the screenplay to produce what will then be called, definitively (for now),  "Final Version".

Meet and make decision on Art Director.

Write document entitled "Character Descriptions" - work on Marion, Phil and especially Elizabeth.

In the absence of confirmed casting, create Four Possible "Gray Family Trees" - illustrating the following four casting scenarios:

"A-list" American + Two Canadians Tree

"B-list" American + Two Canadians Tree

"A-list" All-Canadian Tree

Pure laine (100% Québécois) Tree

And, go!